The European Liberal Forum in a nutshell
What is the European Liberal Forum?
Founded in the fall of 2007, the European Liberal Forum, asbl (ELF) is the non-profit European political foundation of the liberal family. ELF brings together liberal think tanks, political foundations and institutes from around Europe to observe, analyse and contribute to the debate on European public policy issues and the process of European integration, through education, training, research and the promotion of active citizenship within the EU.
The role of the European Liberal Forum is to:
- Serve as a framework for think tanks, national political foundations, institutes, academics and leading liberal personalities to work together at European level.
- Develop close working relationships with and among its member organisations, the national parliamentary groups, the ALDE Party in the European Parliament, Liberal International (LI), the world federation of liberal political parties, and the European liberal youth (LYMEC), the youth organisation of the ALDE Party.
- Observe, analyse and contribute to the debate on European public policy issues and the process of European integration, through education, training, research and the promotion of active citizenship within the European Union, particularly with regard to young Europeans.
- Strengthen the liberal, democrat and reform movement in the European Union and throughout Europe.
- Seek a common position, as a transfer of experience gained from the contracting Members, on all important matters affecting the European Union.
- Support liberal democracy throughout Europe and its neighbourhood.
- Inform the public and involve it in the construction of a united European democracy.
- Support and cosponsor European seminars, conferences and studies on such issues between the aforementioned stakeholders.
How does the European Liberal Forum work?
The ELF General Assembly is the supreme decision-making body. It elects the members of the Board and approves the common annual activity programme, upon proposal by the Board of Directors. It also approves the annual accounts, the annual report, the budget and any other form of financing.
The ELF Board of Directors provides the foundation with day-to-day guidance. Currently, the Board is composed of: Felicita Medved, President, State Minister Dr. Jürgen Martens, Vice-President, Roel Martens, Treasurer, Andreas Bergström, Board member and Giulio Ercolessi, Board member.
The secretariat is run by Susanne Hartig, ELF Executive Director.
How to become an ELF member organisation?
Membership of the foundation is open to those think tanks, national political foundations, institutes and leading liberal personalities that promote liberal, democratic ideals and values.
Applications for membership shall be sent to the Board of Directors.